- 2 cups lukewarm water
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups oil for frying
- Mix lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to bubble slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Pour water mixture over flour mixture and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes. Cover bowl with clean cloth and let dough rise until until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Pinch off a piece of dough about the size of a tennis ball; roll until smooth. Flatten ball of dough until it is the size of palm; set aside on a floured work surface. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Fry flattened pieces of dough in the hot oil, 2 to 3 pieces at a time, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.